New York City

 Samuel Gottscho

Photo Credit; Samuel Gottscho, wikimedia commons

New York City is the most populous city in the United States. It consists of five boroughs and is one of the safest cities in the United States. There are many reasons that make New York City such a great place to live. Just to name a few of them, it is the most diverse city for languages in the world, it is located on one of the world’s largest natural harbors- the New York Harbor, and it has over 4,000 food vendors selling a variety of different ethnic foods.

First off, it is the most diverse city for languages in the world. About 170 different languages are spoken here, and about 36.7% who speak foreign languages were foreign born. According to recent data, around 51% of New Yorkers only speak English at home, and the other 49% speak a wide range of different languages from around the world. Around 187 million residents who speak a foreign language speak Spanish, about 419,000 speak Chinese, 106,000 speak French Creole, 81,000 speak French, and 186,000 Russian speakers just to name a few of the top languages spoken.

Besides New York City being the most diverse city for languages in the world, it is also home to one of the world’s largest complex natural harbors. Millions of immigrants between 1892 and 1954 arrived in the New York Harbor while trying to become a U.S citizen. It was guessed that around 40% of Americans can trace at least one ancestor to the harbor. The harbor itself opens to the New York Bight to the southeast and the Long Island Sound to the northeast. In 1824 the first American dry dock was completed on the East River. Since the port grew rapidly with the introduction to steamships, it became the most important transhipping port to coastwide destinations.

Finally, New York City is home to over 4,000 food vendors aside from one of the world’s largest natural harbors. If you love different ethnic foods- New York if the place to be. There are a wide range of foods, snacks and beverages while you walk through the city. Just to name a few of the different ethnic choices you can get here for food are Chinese, Greek, and Indian food. The best place to find Chinese food is in Manhattan, Chinatown. You can practically get any food you want for $6 to $15 but still have a great authentic Chinese meal. A good place to get some Greek food would be in the Queens. Here, you can try some exauotic food such as boiled octopus, or you can just get a gyro platter. Either way you’ll be experiencing the full Greek experience. Also, to get good Indian food you’d have to go to the Queens as well. There are first generation Indian and Pakistani immigrants, that can make authentic food for a memorable time.

Because of New York City being the most diverse cities for languages in the world, being home to one of the worlds largest natural harbors, and owning over 4000 food vendors throughout the city, makes New York a great city.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s